Sunday, June 18, 2006

My Floral Recommendations

I'm writing this post in regards to the links I have on this blog. I want to let you know that I don't add links wily-nily and although I have not personally tried all the products listed, I have tried a lot of them and/or plan to. The following are comments on products that I have tried:

violet_lozenge

Leone makes a variety of flower-flavored lozenges, violet being one of them. I found the adorably old-fashioned tin of mints at a corner gourmet shop in NYC. (sorry, don't recollect the neighborhood) The candy's shape reminds me of jujubees while the texture is sort of like Necco wafers - how's that for some old-timey candy references?

Monin's Violet Syrup is pretty good, especially on vanilla ice cream (how 'bout sweet cream?), mixed into whipped cream or in an Italian soda.

Violet products at Regals: Now that's what I call a violet-lover's shop. Not only do they have violet candy, liqueur, perfume and locally made treats, they even have violet-themed china and other collectables. They don't speak much English but they were very sweet and helpful. The only problem (for me) is that they are all the way in Toulouse!!! But they have a website - yay!

Benoit Serres' Violette Liqueur is wonderfully sweet - so good over ice and cream. This was one of the items I got at Regals.

C.Howard's candies are a little, um, astringent for my taste but I can't help but be swayed by their classic candy packaging. And you can get it easily around the U.S. (try World Market, for example)

Chambers candy is good and the pretty victorian tins look nice in your bag.

Newtree's Tranquility bar is just devine. I've heard word to the contrary but I don't care, I love it! Milk chocolate and lavender make such a fine pair. I almost cried when Whole Foods stopped carrying the large bar. (ok, not almost cried but I got a tad moody)

Dagoba makes a lavender chocolate bar but I find the lavender flavor gets lost. Just my opinion though.

And of course you probably already know I eat Flavigny's violet and rose pastilles on a regular basis. :)

Ok, that's it for now. I'm trying to whip up some original recipes to share. More to come!

No comments: