Thursday, October 19, 2006

Parisian Flower Food Update: Violet Jam

Some of the food I brought home from Paris I did not try, having faith (hope) they would taste as good as they looked.

Here's my experience so far...


Violet Jam

The violet jam is very good, though not strong in violet flavor. We had it for brunch this morning on homemade french (ha!) toast.

Oatmeal French Toast with Violet Jam and Raspberries


2 large eggs
1/2 c. (soy) milk

1 T. - 1/4 c. 1 minute quick oats
cinnamon to taste
a sprinkle of ground cloves
pinch of sea salt


4 slices whole grain bread
butter/vegetable oil

violet jam
fresh raspberries

Whisk together first 6 ingredients. Add butter or oil to a frying pan and heat on medium. Dip bread, one slice at a time into batter. When butter is melted, add battered bread to pan (depending on your stove, this may be a good time to lower the heat, if it's too hot). Cook until golden, and turn.

Serve with violet jam and raspberries. So easy and so, SO good.

Serves 2-4

{This recipe is still a work in progress, but very good as is; adjust to taste.}

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
judy said...

I have to agree that while the Albert Menes Rose and Violet Jams are nice, they are not as flavorful as I would like. Also, I find them to be a bit thin and runny. I prefer Hediard brand. Their Rose and Violet jams are thicker and more flavorful.

Anonymous said...

Hello do you know if I cna buy any Albert Ménes rose petal Confit here in the U.S.A.???

the fabled needle (jen) said...

Sorry, I'm not aware of any place that sells this brand in the states. Try eBay though, I know they have lots of imports there!